The Footballguys IDP Matchup Spreadsheet is used to track trends around the league to help with evaluating IDP matchups. I’ll use this article to call out some interesting numbers in the data each week.
You can find the Microsoft Excel tool HERE
I’ve added in a new Schedule tab this year to try and quickly identify favorable matchups each week. I pulled in some key metrics for the defense as well as the offense they are facing this week.
When I look at matchups for this week, these are the matchups that look MOST FAVORABLE from a tackling perspective (with some notes if the matchup is particularly unfavorable for run vs pass):
- WASHINGTON (vs Dallas) – Cowboys generating 54 tackle opps/game (31 rush attempts)
- SAN FRANCISCO (vs Arizona) – Cardinals generating 54 tackle opps/game (26 pass completions)
- DENVER (vs LA Chargers) – Chargers generating 54 tackle opps/game (28 pass completions)
- PHILADELPHIA (vs NY Giants) – Giants generating 54 tackle opps/game (30 rush attempts)
- NY GIANTS (vs Philadelphia) – Eagles generating 53 tackle opps/game (31 rush attempts)
In contrast, these matchups look LEAST FAVORABLE from a tackling perspective (with some notes if the matchup is particularly unfavorable for run vs pass):
- NY JETS (vs Miami) – Dolphins generating 46 tackle opps/game (21 rush attempts)
- NEW ORLEANS (vs Carolina) – Panthers generating 46 tackle opps/game (16 pass completions)
- DALLAS (vs Washington) – Commanders generating 46 tackle opps/game (21 pass completions)
- INDIANAPOLIS (vs Houston) – Texans generating 46 tackle opps/game
- JACKSONVILLE (vs Tennessee) – Titans generating 47 tackle opps/game (17 pass completions)
- BUFFALO (vs New England) – Patriots generating 47 tackle opps/game
- MIAMI (vs NY Jets) – Jets generating 47 tackle opps/game
You may also want some help picking out matchups for pass rushers. These are some that look MOST FAVORABLE to me from a pass-rush perspective:
- LA CHARGERS (vs Denver) – Broncos allow 3.8 sacks/game (23 in last 4)
- HOUSTON (vs Indianapolis) – Colts allow 3.6 sacks/game
- MINNESOTA (vs Chicago) – Bears allow 3.6 sacks/game (15 in last 3)
- SEATTLE (vs LA Rams) – Rams allow 3.4 sacks/game
Continue reading this content with a ELITE subscription.
"Footballguys is the best premium
fantasy football only site on the planet."
Matthew Berry, NBC Sports EDGE