One of the best and most comprehensive features we do every year is our Footballguys August Updates. Every week this month, our Bob Henry and Clayton Gray and their team of Footballguys Staffers cover every player that matters from every NFL team. It's worth the Footballguys Premium Subscription by itself.
While I encourage you to read every word on every team for every week, I also understand "Life Happens". And one of the more valuable services Footballguys can add is saving you time.
For this article, we take the August Updates and ask our team writers to distill it into 100 proof shots of the Need-to-Know material. Some teams will have more news than others because that's how it works in real life. Much of it will be from the August Updates, and some of it will be my takes, but all of it will hopefully be useful to you. And make sure to jump on our Premium Subscription to continue seeing this type of stuff all year long. And if this feature is helpful to you, shoot me an email at email@example.com and let me know.
Plus a new addition for this year. For each team, I've included a link to our Depth Charts and also to the Full Camp Report. If you like these bullets and want more detail, check out the Full Camp Report for each team.
Let's get to it.
- TE Zach Ertz hasn’t practiced, but the hope is he will play in Week 1.
- There is a chance that RB Darrel Williams doesn’t make the team.
- OL Cody Ford was brought in via trade for insurance on OL Justin Pugh.
- WRs Greg Dortch and Andy Isabella earned roster spots with strong training camps.
- CB is a position they will likely add (trade or sign) a player before the regular season.
- QB Marcus Mariota is the starter, and head coach Arthur Smith believes he’ll keep it.
- QB Desmond Ridder played 80% of the final game but won’t play unless needed.
- RB Damien Williams and TE Parker Hesse were the two starters who had the week off.
- WR Drake London is the clear WR target leader who expects to be fully healthy for Week 1.
- WRs Bryan Edwards, Olamide Zaccheaus, and KhaDarel Hodge are the secondary receivers.
- QB Lamar Jackson had his best camp; he’s running and passing as well as ever.
- RB J.K. Dobbins should be ready for Week 1, but he won’t have a full workload.
- WR Rashod Bateman is the team’s clear-cut WR1 and second target.
- TE Mark Andrews never takes a day off in camp and is the top target on the offense.
- TE Isaiah Likely has been lining up all over the field and will be the de-factor WR2.
- The offense is focused on efficiency by generating more run-after-the-catch yards and minimizing the hits on QB Josh Allen.
- RB Devin Singletary remains the lead back, but expect a committee approach with Zack Moss and James Cook mixing in.
- At WR, Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis will play nearly every down with Isaiah McKenzie in the slot.
- Edge rusher Von Miller didn’t play a snap this preseason, but he will boost the pass rush.
- CB TreDavious White is likely to start the year on PUP.
- The team released rookie P Matt Araiza amid rape allegations.
- QB Baker Mayfield saw significant time in the team’s final preseason game and threw two touchdowns.
- RB Chuba Hubbard will act as a true backup to Christian McCaffrey.
- The Panthers will use RB DOnta Forman in short-yardage and red zone situations.
- WR Terrace Marshall Jr could be traded before Week 1, and the Panthers are interested in WR Denzel Mims
- The Panthers have one of the best secondaries in the league and should be good for turnovers in fantasy football.
- QB Justin Fields could surprise people with his competence in a new offense that plays to his strength.
- Although the Bears’ backfield appears to be split between RBs David Montgomery and Khalil Herbert, Montgomery’s usage with the first team in his first preseason appearance should tip the scale more in his direction
- TE Cole Kmet has taken a step forward and could be in store for a massive season as a pass-catcher.
- Injuries remain the theme in the wide receiver room, offensive line, and defensive side of the ball.
Continue reading this content with a 100% free Insider subscription.
"Footballguys is the best premium
fantasy football only site on the planet."
Matthew Berry, ESPN