Dominate Your League
A Footballguys Premium Subscription will give you the edge with lineup and waiver wire advice tailored to your league.
Save Time, Win More with Footballguys.Join Now
We are two weeks into the season and we're starting to get some clarity, which is always a good thing, no matter if it's good news or bad. It's the unknown and making important decisions involving the unknown, which makes this hobby a challenge. The more we know, the better off we are.
So What Do We Know? A Lot, Actually
The first three weeks of the season are my favorite. So much is being learned at this time. The cream is rising to the top. Opportunities are being presented for players and several have answered the bell with a successful first two games. Injuries are starting to mount, especially for quarterbacks. With every injury comes an opportunity for someone else to fill the void, and the cycle continues. Winning your league is about having key performers and knowing who to target before they rise to power. Although it's not a must, players on winning teams are generally more successful fantasy options.
Teams that are 2-0: Tampa Bay, Carolina, Los Angeles Rams, San Francisco, Arizona, Denver, Las Vegas
Teams that are 0-2: Atlanta, Detroit, Minnesota, New York Giants, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, New York Jets
What Makes a Successful Fantasy Running Back?
1. Opportunity - There is more of a chance to have success if the opportunity for carries is high. The following teams lead the way in running plays per game. You want to have running backs on these teams. These are also the backs you should target for proactive waiver claims, if available.
- 37.0 Baltimore (Lamar Jackson, TySon Williams, Latavius Murray, Devonta Freeman)
- 34.5 Houston (Mark Ingram II, Phillip Lindsay, David Johnson)
- 33.0 San Francisco (Elijah Mitchell, Trey Sermon, JaMycal Hasty, Kyle Juszczyk, Jeffrey Wilson - IR)
- 31.0 Tennessee (Derrick Henry, Jeremy McNichols, Darryonton Evans - IR)
- 30.0 Philadelphia (Miles Sanders, Kenneth Gainwell)
- 30.0 Carolina (Christian McCaffrey, Chuba Hubbard)
- 30.0 Chicago (David Montgomery, Damien Williams)
- 29.5 Cleveland (Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, Demetric Felton)
- 29.0 Denver (Melvin Gordon III, Javonte Williams, Mike Bell)
The more plays a team runs the greater chance of having positive fantasy success. Understanding which teams run more plays per game and which teams run fewer will give us a better indication of which players to target when it comes to setting a lineup.
Total Plays Per Game
Teams in green run more plays per game so naturally, the chances are higher for more production. The opposite is true for teams in red.
- 73.5 TEN
- 72.0 LSV
- 71.5 BUF
- 70.0 LAC, DET
- 68.5 DAL
- 68.0 CAR, IND
- 67.5 BAL, MIN
- 66.5 HOU, ATL, DEN
- 65.0 CHI
- 64.0 NYJ
- 63.5 ARI, NE
- 62.0 TB
- 61.5 NYG, SF
- 61.0 CIN, MIA, PHI
- 59.0 JAC, WAS
- 56.5 CLE, GB
- 55.5 PIT
- 55.0 LAR, KC
- 52.5 SEA
- 51.5 NO
Total Plays Allowed Per Game
The teams are allowing the fewest plays per game. It would stand to reason that you would want to target your players who are playing against the teams in green and shy away from players who are playing the teams in red.
Continue reading this article with a Season Long Pro subscription.
"Footballguys is the best premium
fantasy football only site on the planet."
Matthew Berry, ESPN